Monday, September 28, 2015

Driving to Work

One of the very frequent comments that I make when someone comments on driving skills is
 ' that is one skill I wouldn't have survived without  and that is probably more useful to me in doing my work than having done my graduation' - and I mean it.

I drive almost 40 km up and down  - that in Bangalore traffic , road condition and my driving pace is almost 2 hours a day. And my ride has not always been the perfect , smooth drive. I've had my share of accidents - honks, stares, reprimands on roads - half to my mistakes and half since most people behind the wheels are frustrated themselves.
The worst of these was in the initial days of the car - when my son was hardly a year old and we were on  the village roads of Kerala- narrow , uphill and curvy all at the same time and the exact time for a small packet kept in front of the car to topple over , natural instinct took my hands off the steering and off  the car goes to kiss the curvy wall ahead-  which resulted in a close to 20,000 Rs/- repair for the car.  Thankfully nothing else happened and all of us were safe. Somehow completed the drive that day - reached the destination and gave the car to the service station. But I think I did not take the car for few months after that. Leaving that and the recent minor hit against our campus gate - I thank god the car has been reasonably safe.
The major advantage of knowing to drive is the flexibility it gives. We live in a  place which is outskirts of the city and commuting to work would have been a real challenge had I not known to drive. Also the comfort it offers is kind of a necessity to be regular at work. Directly linked to this flexibility is the freedom it offers - freedom to be self reliant and independent. I love driving and I do understand why Pappa was so insistent on me learning to drive as soon as turned 18.

A selfie behind the wheels and a pic of my license...:)




No comments: