Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Nuclear Families becoming traditional....Oops!!!!

Attended a presentation on Retail 101( My new domain ) today at office .It was a wonderful session which gave us a feel of the Retail vertical...Walmart..Argos and the stuff but what caught my attention was a phrase " Traditional Nuclear Families" in one of the slides.Initially, when I saw it, I thought may be it is a Typo mistake ... but then from the discussion that followed I realised that it was just that I was still hooked up in the generation were joint families were traditional ... or may be I just dint know that even nuclear families had become traditional.
Where are we actually heading..?
I still remember very vividly the day we decided to move out of my ancestral home to the city for the convenience of my parents,both of whom are working .The loneliness I experienced after shifting to our new house is beyond what can be put in words . The little me looked forward to the weekends when I could get back home to be surrounded by my grandparents,uncles , aunties ,cousins and friends..The loneliness of the nuclear family itself was a big torture for me.And I feel pity for those unfortunate among us who have not experienced the comfort & love of sharing that flows in a joint family.I have heard of people telling that you will not get privacy in a joint family to look after your kids , your spouse ... but the fact is you get many people to look after you , your kids and spouse.Nothing may be your own..but then everything is yours.
Kids grow up learning the basic lessons of love and sharing.
Gone are the days to lament about the traditional joint families....when nuclear families themselves have become traditional.From what I understood from the session , nuclear families have become traditional in many developed countries ( Thanks to the late advent of everything developed in our country ) where parents and kids find it difficult to live together , to share their things and they move out deciding to stay alone.Human mind craving for space of its own.
The basic reason for all this is the absolute lack of love.Love for the people around you , Love for your parents ,for your spouse ,for your kids...
Human mind without love becomes selfish..first about ones own spouse and kids and with generation selfish about ones own individual self.

No comments: